Last Updated: 15 June, 2022
Please read this Policy carefully before using our services.
Information We Collect
We collect information in several ways, so we have explained the types of information that we collect in each context below. Please note that this Policy does not apply to any information that you share other users directly, whether or not such functionality is available through the services at any time. For information about how providers or other users handle your information, please consult such providers and users about their privacy practices.
Information You Provide to Us
- Your Information:
When you use our services, you may provide certain information directly to us. For example, when you register with Bilayer, we require that you provide us with your name and contact information. You may also enter notes and other information about your users, your business, your vendors, or your customers.
- Your Communication with Us:
We collect information when you communicate with us. The specific types of information we collect will depend on the forum in which you communicate with us. For example, if you send us an email, we will collect your email address and the content of your email.
Information We Automatically Collect
As with most apps and websites, when you use our services we automatically receive and collect information about you and your device. This information includes the following:
- Information about your device, such as the operating system, hardware, system version, Internet Protocol (IP) address, device ID, and device language.
- The specific actions that you take when you use our services, including but not limited to the pages and screens that you view or visit, search terms that you enter, how you interact with our services, and information about your interactions among providers and users.
- The time, frequency, connection type, and duration of your use of our services.
- Information about your internet, wireless and mobile network connections, such as mobile phone number, service provider, and signal strength.
- Location information, such as GPS information.
- Information regarding your interaction with email messages, for example, whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded the email message.
- Identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser (as further described below); and
- Pages you visited before or after navigating to our website.
Cookies and Analytics
At the present time our services do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals or similar mechanisms.
How We Use Your Information
In general, we collect information from you so that we can provide our services, operate our business, and provide information that you request from us. This includes the following uses and purposes:
- Create and administer your registration with us.
- Provide, operate, improve, maintain, and protect our services.
- Provide you with technical and other support.
- Send you services and company updates, marketing communication, and other information about Bilayer and our services, and products and services of third parties, that we think you may be interested in.
- Conduct research and analysis, and monitor and analyze trends and usage.
- Enhance or improve user experience, our business, and our services, including the safety and security thereof.
- Communicate with you and respond to inquiries.
- Operate our business and perform any other function that we believe in good faith is necessary to protect the security or proper functioning of our services.
- As necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, subpoena, legal process, or governmental request.
- Enforce contracts and applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; and
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Bilayer, our users, customers, or the public as required or permitted by law.
How We Share Your Information
We do not rent or sell your personal information (any information that identifies you or is identifiable to you).
Like most companies, we share information in certain circumstances with third parties through operation of our services and our business. Below we explain when that happens.
We use third parties to assist us with operating our business and providing our services, such as our technology vendors that help us maintain our services and partners that assist us with our marketing and communication. These service providers will have access to your information in order to provide services to us.
As Directed By You and With Your Consent
Except as otherwise provided in this Policy, we share information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Bilayer only at your direction or when we have your consent to do so.
We may share information with third party companies, organizations, governmental authorities, or individuals outside of Bilayer if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, subpoena, legal process or governmental request;
- Enforce a contract, including but not limited to any applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof;
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; or
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Bilayer, our users, customers or the public as required or permitted by law.
Sale or Merger
We may de-identify or aggregate information so that you are not identified as an individual, and use and provide that information to third parties without restriction. We may also provide aggregate usage information to third parties (or allow third parties to collect that information from you), who may use such information to understand how often and in what ways people use our services. However, we never disclose aggregate usage or de-identified information to a third party (or allow a third party to collect such information) in a manner that would identify you as an individual person.
Choices about Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices with respect to your information. Also remember, you can opt not to disclose certain information to us. Note that if you are a user under the auspices of a company (for example, if you are an employee user under your employer’s Bilayer registration), your employer may have control over the information that is stored on our services.
Modification and Access to Your Information
You may be able to access and modify some of your information through the services. If you would like to modify or access additional information that is not available through the services, please contact us at email@example.com. We may ask you to verify your identify or provide additional information before we act on your request. We may reject or deny requests for certain reasons, such as when we believe a request is fraudulent.
Deleting Your Information
You may be able to delete some of your information through the services. You may also request deletion by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that in some cases we may be prohibited from deleting certain information (we will let you know in those situations, and some information may remain in our records after your deletion of such information). We may use any aggregated or de-identified data derived from or incorporating your information after you update or delete it, but not in a manner that would identify you personally. Also, as noted above, your registration may be controlled by your employer or another organization that you are affiliated with.
You may unsubscribe from Bilayer marketing communications at any time by following the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any such communication. Most promotional communications will also offer recipients choices about receiving additional messages.
We are based in the United States, and our services are hosted there. If you are using our services from another country, the laws governing our collection and use of information may be different from the laws of your country. If you decide to use our services, or share your information with us, you are agreeing to be governed by the laws of the United States, and agree to the transfer of your information to the United States.
Our Services are not directed at children under 13, and we do not knowingly collect information from children under 13. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to use our services or send any information about yourself to us. If you are the parent of a child under the age of 13, and you believe he or she has shared information with us, please contact us at email@example.com so that we can remove such information from our systems.
Security of Your Information
We use reasonable security measures, including measures designed to protect against unauthorized or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage to your information. We also take certain measures to enhance the security of our services, however, since the Internet is not a 100% secure environment, we cannot guarantee, ensure, or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. There is no guarantee that information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. It is your responsibility to protect the security of your login information.
Retention of Information
We retain information in accordance with applicable laws. The length of time we keep information depends on the type of information and whether we have an on-going business or legal need to retain it (for example, to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements). Once we no longer have an on-going business or legal need to retain your information, we delete, aggregate, or de-identify it.
Third-Party Websites and Services
Changes to this Policy
We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. When we do, we will post the updated version on this page. We encourage you to read this page each time that you use our services so that you will be aware of any changes, and your continued use of our services shall constitute your acceptance of any such changes. Changes to this Policy take effect from the date of publication, unless stated otherwise.
If you have any comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions about Policy, or about our privacy practices in general, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.